Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Money Savers . . .

Here are some ways I scrimp and save . . .

1. I LOVE clearance meat. Nothing makes me happier than saving 30% or more on meat. Now, it goes without saying that you have to be careful and make sure it hasn't already gone bad, but usually you can get some great deals. I immediately cook it and freeze it or simply freeze it depending on the meat. I pre-cook all my ground meats and stew meats. It saves tons of time and it's easier to defrost pre-cooked. When it's on sale, I also precook, shred, and freeze chicken as well for quesadillas or tacos or barbeque or casseroles . . .

2. I save all my margarine tubs and sour cream containers etc. They are awesome to freeze sauces or meatballs in and they can be tossed when I'm done. Once again, I hate to wash dishes.

3. Cheese can be frozen. I will by shredded cheese, which we go through like mice, when it's on sale and toss it in my deep freeze. Saves me a ton, and I always have it handy!

4. I also shop in bulk. I love Sam's Club. It is well worth the cost of a membership for the food alone. We buy large bags of cheese, butter, chicken wings, etc. The seafood is usually frozen individually which is awesome. We also shop the meat department for the hamburger, fresh seafood and roasts. It kills you to write that big check, but when you don't have to shop for weeks it makes up for it.

Save, save, save

No comments: