Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Homemade Chicken and Dumplings. . .

When Robert and I first got married he wanted me to learn how to make his Mammie's chicken and Dumplings. One time when she stayed with us I had her show me . . .

I used to start out with a whole chicken and boil it for hours, pick the meat off the bones, add more water and bouillon to make the broth and then make the dumplings. Then I realized that my family was only eating the dumplings and broth and leaving the chicken in the bottom of their bowls. I figured all that work for nothing was unnecessary. So here is the short version . . .

I fill a stock pot with chicken broth (I like the organic stuff) and throw in a pound or so of shredded chicken that I boiled in water and shredded with a fork.

While that is boiling, I make my dumplings. Mix:

5 cups flour
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup of broth
1 tsp garlic
1/2 Tspn Baking Powder
salt and pepper

Flour the counter and roll out mixed dough (dough will be thick and springy)
Cut into long strips with pizza cutter lengthwise and then crosswise to make strips about 1 inch by 3 inches.
Throw in boiling broth - they will cook through in about 3 minutes.

Oh my gosh! I have to make that for dinner tonight, just typing it out makes me want it. . .

No comments: